Sunday, September 12, 2010

Maps as More Than Just Geography

In my Transnational Communication class, we dissected the topic of "the nation" as a socially constructed or "imagined" community. This is to say that it is imagined by the people who perceive themselves as part of that group (Benedict Anderson, 1983). To that point, we took one of his examples - MAPS - and mused about them as symbols and logos of "the nation", and thus, tools for defining power relations. 


Here is the map that we are all familiar with (Mercator's projection). It shows the correct shapes of countries and continents, however, unbeknownst to most, size is distorted:



And here is Peter's projection, a more accurate view of the actual sizes of landmasses: 


What differences do you notice? 
The most startling thing to me was the difference in the size of Africa. 

And check this one out: how does this make you feel? it makes me feel weird. Uncomfortable even.


If you like this kind of stuff, check out this site: Ten of the Greatest Maps That Changed the World

If you can, please comment, just to let me know if anyone is reading this silly thang! 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dan - Dan! Love the upside down map. Yeh, kinda weird! Love your tales of travel & fun! Your ever lovin' Unc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your blog Dan, and it is quite informative! It helps us non-Facebookers keep track of you, even though I'm probably the only non-FB'er in your life.

    The maps are cool... Africa is a lot skinnier than I thought. I like being able to see certain countries/continents change shape on the map as they move closer towards the North and South poles. The U.S. seems to be the only country whose proportion stays the same... kinda interesting. The upside down map is nice because it reminds you that we're all just people who happen to live in different locations. It makes me feel great!

    I MISS YOU!! Eat some herring for me (or not) and I will eat many a bok choy and avocado on your behalf. I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, I think the projection you show as Mercator is actually a Miller Cylindrical projection... The upside down map is a Mercator projection, and look how much more exaggerated the high latitude areas are on it!

    ReplyDelete