Friday, July 1, 2011

Swedish Skies


In March, I found cheap last-minute tickets to Stockholm, Sweden where I finally got to see what my Grandpa loved so much about this heavenly Scandinavian city. The snow was just beginning to melt and the small little islands of Gamla Stan and Sodermalm were quaint and cute, brimming with blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauties!

“Kick Ass” Al Shear told me a great story the last time I was in LA. He was retelling his experience in Stockholm, or, as he called it, “the most beautiful place" he’d ever been. I asked him what about it had been so beautiful, and with his inimitable way of telling a story, he painted a marvelous picture of one night when he was with his gorgeous Swedish wife, Stella. It was summer, it was 2AM, and the sky a lavender hue. A delicate twilight illuminated the Swedish skies. They had just eaten a fanciful feast, including caviar and champagne and had just danced the night away at a nightclub on a nearby island. He recalls cascading along the glistening waters of the the Stockholm harbor, speeding past islands as the sun rose. It was in that moment he decided that Stockholm was the most beautiful place in his universe. 




Having fallen in love with this story, I went to Stockholm to see what my Grandpa's most vivid memories had told. 



Although it was not summer, it was just as magical as he remembered. 



No comments:

Post a Comment